2014 is here, and I’ve started taking stock of what sewing projects are coming up next. 2013 was certainly full of change for me, but that translated to what felt like a less productive sewing year.
I didn’t actually fulfill any of my sewing resolutions for 2013, but I wouldn’t call the year a total loss. One major theme: I don’t have a bunch of abandoned WIPs from the year like I have in the past; I either finished everything I started, or am still consistently working on it for the most part.
I say 2013 “felt like a less productive year”, but I actually finished one more quilt than I did in 2012.
- Shakespearian Bars: An English Interpretation
- Disappearing Seven Wonders
- Amish Sampler
- Canyon’s Quilt
- Swapped Stories
- Reproduction Sky
- Thorny Patchwork
Sartorial and Costume Projects
There were a few quick projects I didn’t blog about (like very simple drawstring and Velcro bags for wrapping Christmas gifts, tote bags, and the like), but I did do a few here and there.
- A finished WIP box from Savannah Bop
- Late Christmas 2012 presents for my Mom
- An EPP-carrying bag for myself
- More zippered cosmetic bags at least two of which I photographed
Samplers, Meetups, and Exchanges
The notable finish here was Swapped Stories, from the block swap I started in 2012.
I started two Saturday Samplers, but stopped after just a few blocks because of the move. All of the blocks I received are done, but they are packed away awaiting some rainy day.
Fails and Projects I Got Bored With or Ignored for Too Long
This list grew just a bit, because I didn’t complete a single project from it in 2013. I really do hope to focus on these in 2014.
- 2011: Miniatures Heart Nine-Patch—saw some cutting board action in 2013 (strips cut into pieces for 9-patches), but nothing more.
- 2011: Organic Spins—I made more progress in 2013, but it’s still not complete. I have everything I need, I just need to finish appliqueing and quilting.
- 2011: Drunkard’s Compass—needs a lot of work.
- 2012: Witches’ Bubble Brew—is fully pieced, but needs a lot of applique and then finishing.
- 2012: Double Wedding Ring—was not touched in 2013.
- 2012: The Steampunk Costume—is never going to be finished with the original plan, but I’d like to do something with all of it.
- 2012-13: Farmer’s wife / EPP Crosses—I did some EPP this year with a group in the spring and on my own as recently as Thanksgiving, but it has a long way to go and I only touch it every couple of months.
- 2012-13: Tiger Lily Saturday Sampler—all 12 blocks are complete, but I haven’t started piecing them together.
I have three quilts in progress that were started in late 2013 which are my main focus for early 2014 (two December babies, one January birthday). There are two more babies due to friends in the spring, so the first half of the year seems pretty full.
Aside from those planned quilts, I’m resolution-less this year. I want to see where the year takes me here in VT. I joined the local guild, but have only attended one meeting so far. I haven’t found a real quilt-shop home yet, nor any monthly groups. It’s an adventure I’m looking forward to.
I wish you the best of luck (or all the motivation) in 2014!