To be a bit cliché, this shoemaker is a professional Web Developer and her child is this blog, but it was past time to launch what I have of a new design. All the content is still here, everything else is a work in progress (kind of like most of my sewing projects)!
I’ve been working on a handful of projects at one time lately, so I haven’t finished anything, but there has been progress in my sewing room in the past couple of weeks.
First, I tried a second technique for Cathedral Window (the quilt-as-you-go one that doesn’t require batting or backing). I’m not a big fan. It’s just fiddly in a way that doesn’t inspire me. Now I have to figure out something to do with this odd little rectangular orphan:
I haven’t been sewing much in the past week or two, but I have made a bit of progress on the Organic Spins quilt. Most of the hybrid-pieced-to-applique pinwheels are complete, and I’ve spent a lot of time with the iron pressing under edges of some of the smaller ones that are just going to be made of triangles with no piecing.
But somewhere along the way, I found that I might be a bit masochistic at heart, because for some strange reason, I’ve decided that I should hand applique them all down. I’m not sure why my brain would insist upon this course of action, since I am not hand-sewing’s biggest fan (an understatement), but it hasn’t been that bad, thus far. It certainly has allowed me to not be tethered to my machine.
I’m evidently stuck on designing with pinwheels lately, so when I was thinking about how to make the quilt currently titled “Organic Spins”, pinwheels popped to mind yet again. As the design progressed in my head, however, I realized that I didn’t want a ton of seams in the background of the quilt. So, the idea of making a whole-cloth quilt with appliqued pinwheels came about. But, it still requires piecing part of the pinwheel together before being able to applique it on.
Last week, I played around with some scrap fabric to make a proof of concept. I finally cut into my fabric and started piecing at the Utica Modern Quilt Guild meeting/sew-together on Saturday.
Here’s the final product:
This one finishes at about 10.75″ across. It’s the middle of three different sizes I’m using (well, plus one much teenier size that will be paper pieced).
I’ve made enough progress on my WIP list from July that I feel comfortable starting a new project, finally. And, it’s one I’m keeping.
This one has been in my brain since the end of May, when we traveled to Missouri and I got the chance to stop at Sew To Speak Shoppe in Columbus, OH (I’m in love and want to move there, just for this shop). Among my purchases was a small FQ stack of Cut Out & Keep by Heather Moore for Cloud9 Fabrics.