(which is not going to become a regular thing, but I can’t seem to get any projects to the point of being post-worthy on their own)
Last Sunday, we traveled to Sackets Harbor for the 1812 Reprise show that displayed the 26 quilts comprising the traveling show (which is booked through 2014, wow! My quilt is really getting around). As much as I enjoyed seeing the ~150 or so at the original show, I liked this one more. It gave me a chance to take in details that I’d missed before, and I saw a few quilts that I didn’t remember seeing the first time around (not including the few additional quilts entered just for the reprise show).
I met Diane Shink, a certified quilt appraiser and author. She has a quilt in the show that used antique linen to great effect, and I enjoyed getting a closer look at her quilt. We had a great discussion of knife edge techniques (which I used on my own quilt, in a sort of cobbled way considering that I had no idea what I was doing when I was doing it [an ongoing theme for me, I think]). We even made the Watertown paper. (In other news, I’m extremely jealous that Watertown has a Buffalo Wild Wings and a Chipotle and Utica has neither.)
My own quilt was in good company, hanging next to the wonderfully embroidered quilt that took First Place.
After Monday night, you can count me as another quilter addicted to EPP. This is all I’ve accomplished so far, but it’s fun. I just need to get more fabric pieces cut out so that I can sew over lunches, while watching TV, and in the car when Carl’s driving… it may get out of hand. I also need a nice bag. And better small scissors that haven’t been chewed by Moof.
I joined a block swap that the LQS is doing. We’re doing puss in the corner blocks for this month, and we have to use repro fabrics, which is pushing me out of my comfort zone (a good thing, I think). Here are the fabrics I picked. I haven’t started the blocks yet (we have to make 20).
Last night, I swapped out the HST blocks that were predominately red for ones made with the leftover yellows in the Impressions Baby Quilt, and finished piecing the full top. I should be able to quilt it this weekend.
Finally, my experiment with DWR has reached its conclusion. I’m not finding myself interested in the project. Instead, I’m taking what I have done, doing some cobbled together trapunto-like technique that I’m making up as I go along to make some of the puffiness look intentional, and turning it into a medallion as part of another project. So far, I’ve sewn the rings to batting and turned half the edge under (you can see my basting stitches on the outer edge that hold the batting, and provide a guide for turning). It’s laying on top of the background fabric in preparation for applique. I haven’t decided on a size for the background, yet.
It’s not a total loss of a project; it’s a new direction. I like how the idea is shaping up in my head way more than how I liked what I thought the double wedding ring would look like finished. And, I think I’ll actually finish this one, as opposed to having another project boxed away because I don’t want to work on it.
The lesson: it’s okay to not finish a project the way you initially envisioned it. The world will not implode, your stash won’t suddenly disappear, nor are you promising your first born to the devil by not finishing.
Try it sometime.